Table of Contents
John Cornyn Net Worth Overview
John Cornyn Net Worth is about $2.2 million according to reliable sources online.
John Cornyn is a senior US Senator from Texas.
John Cornyn of the Republican Party is a senator from Texas. His appointment was effective February 2 2002. He is due to resume at the end of January 2027. Cornyn served on Bexar County District court from 1985 to 1990.
He served from 1990 through 1997 on the Texas Supreme Court. From 1999 to 2002 he served as Attorney-General of Texas. He won elections on November 3 2020. He served as Senate Majority Whip from 2013-2021. For his reelection bid, Griswold entered office in 2020.
His net worth consists of mutual funds and fixed income securities.
John Cornyn Net Worth: Investment and Assets
Sen. Cornyn has invested in mutual funds, retirement plans, and corporate securities.
The table below shows his net worth components as per the financial information submitted with SEC for 2020. 
|John Cornyn Net Worth
Sen. John Cornyn Net Worth is between $364,013 -$910,000. The figures are calculated from the financial statement filed with the SEC in 2020.
Senator John Cornyn Income
Sen. John Cornyn earns income through investments. He receives a fixed income from annuities. Additionally, income as a senator contributes to Cornyn net worth.
Income Source 1: Senate Salary
Sen. John Cornyn earns yearly income as a US Senator from Texas. His income was $174,000 in 2020.
Income Source 2: Investment and Retirement Plans
Income from retirement plans contributes to Sen. Cornyn net worth. He also earns income from his investment in fixed income annuities.
|Mutual funds and Annuity fixed income
Sen. John Cornyn Net Worth increased by $258,787 in 2020. The income figure has been calculated based on the financial report submitted with the SEC.
John Cornyn’s Bio/Early Life
John Cornyn III was born in Houston, Texas on 2nd February 1952. His father John Cornyn II served as a colonel of the United States Air Force. His mother was Atholene Gale Cornyn.
Cornyn completed his high school at the American School in Japan where his father was stationed. He later enrolled in Trinity University. He graduated from Trinity University in 1973 with a BA in journalism.
In 1977, Cornyn obtained the Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from St. Mary’s University. He obtained his LLM in 1995 from the University of Virginia.
Cornyn married Sandy Hansen in 1979. The couple has two children.
John Cornyn Career
Cornyn served as a judge from 1985 to 1991. He worked as a judge on the 37th District Court of Texas. In 1991, he has appointed the associate justice of the Texas Supreme Court.
Cornyn contested for the Attorney General in Texas. He won the election representing the Republican Party. In the primary, Cornyn defeated Barry Williamson who was the Railroad Commissioner. He defeated US Representative and former attorney general in 1991.
During his term as the attorney journal, Cornyn developed the Texas Internet Bureau for investigating illegal online activities.
In 2002, Cornyn contested for the United States Senate election held in Texas. He defeated his rival Republican Bruce Rusty Lang in the primary. Cornyn defeated Ron Kirk of the Democratic party in the general election.
Cornyn gained notice in 2005 by citing the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear arguments for preserving Terri Schiavo’s life with the recent murders of Judge Joan Lefkow’s husband and mother, as well as the courtroom murder of Judge Rowland Barnes.
His colleagues selected him to serve as Vice Chairman of the Senate Republican Conference in December 2006.
Cornyn successfully defended his seat in the 2008 US senate election. He won the Republican primary defeating Larry Kilgore. In the general election, he defeated Democratic party nominee Rick Noriega.
Senator Cornyn supported Norm Coleman’s court challenges of the 2008 Minnesota Senate campaign’s election certification as chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. Cornyn advocated Coleman to take the case to court, but he acknowledged the trial and appeals could take years.
Cornyn was elected the Senate Minority Whip in 2012. In 2014, Cornyn was re-elected for the third term. He defeated David Alameel of the Democratic party in the general election. After winning the election, Cornyn was elected the Senate majority whip.
Cornyn was the 2020 US Senate election in Texas. He defeated MJ Hegar of the Democratic Party in the general election.
Sen. Cornyn had co-founded the India Caucus of the US Senate in 2004 . His political stance is described as extremely conservative. Cornyn opposes abortion and same-sex marriages. He criticized President Obama and Biden was their support of the LGTB rights.
Cornyn has also received a rating of A by the NRA for his staunch support of gun rights.
John Cornyn Accomplishments
- His tenure as Attorney General of Texas saw him create the Texas Internet Bureau
- Sen. John Cornyn had received the most votes by any Republican in the 2020 Senate elections. He got about 5.9 million votes that broke the record of former Republican US Senator, Pete Wilson (R-CA). .
- Successfully passed legislation increasing penalty on white collar crime, strengthening border security, improving port of entry operations and reducing wait times at Headquarters for Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
- Elected chairman of Senate Republicans in 2007 and unanimously voted to be the Majority Whip after Republicans gained control of Senate.
- Held a press conference with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and local officials from San Antonio, TX and Laredo, TX to talk about the importance of immigration reform and border security.
- Passed legislation creating mentoring program for first time juvenile offenders.
- Established outreach program with local school districts to help recruit teachers and increase the number of minorities entering the teaching profession.
- Increased federal funding for biomedical research on infant brain disorders by $15 million annually.
- Successfully passed legislation increasing juvenile court judges’ discretion in sentencing juveniles, preventing states from going around federal law, and increasing penalties for abuse of mentally disabled adults.
- Supported educational reforms that increased accountability in schools and encouraged competency testing for teachers.
- Signed a law allowing patients with end-stage renal disease to keep a voucher for transplant procedures when they travel from overseas or from one region to another in United States.
- Signed law prohibiting websites from selling information on children.
Similar Senator Net Worth and Income Articles:
- Mitt Romney Net Worth And Income Sources
- Mark Warner Net Worth And Income Sources
- Tim Kaine Net Worth And Income Sources
- Patrick Leahy Net Worth And Income Sources
- Bernie Sanders Net Worth And Income Sources
John Cornyn Biography
|Legal Name/Birth Name
|John Cornyn Net Worth
|Sources of Wealth
|Senior US Senator from Texas
|Date of Birth
|2nd February 1952
|Place of Birth
|185.4 cm (6ft 1in)
|149 lbs. (68 kg)
|Names of Children
|Haley Cornyn and Danley Cornyn
Frequently Asked Questions About John Cornyn
How old is John Cornyn?
Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) will turn 70 years old in 2022.
Where was John Cornyn born?
John Cornyn was born in Houston, Texas.
What college did John Cornyn attend?
John Cornyn attended the University of Virginia, St. Mary’s University School of Law, and Trinity University.
What is John Cornyn’s political party?
John Cornyn is a member of the Republican party.
Who is John Cornyn dating?
John Cornyn has been dating no one since June 2021. Cornyn was promoted by the Texas Republican Party in the 2002 Republican primary. Cornyn defeated Democratic nominee Ron Kirk in a campaign that cost the two candidates approximately $9 million. He defeated his closest Republican challenger by a 10-to-1 margin. Effective November 30, 2002 Phil Gramm resigned early to enable Senator-Elect Cornyn to start work for him early and to move to Gramm’s office suite to start organizing.
. https://www.legistorm.com/member/27/Sen_John_Cornyn.html – Salary information of Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX).
. https://sec.report/Senate-Stock-Disclosures/CORNYN/JOHN/1fc197cb-c7c7-4d4f-893d-18b5fdf57047 – Financial disclosure statement filed with the SEC in 2020.
. https://web.archive.org/web/20090210162914/http://www.indianembassy.org/i_digest/2004/may/india_caucus.htm – About the formation of the US Senate the India Caucus in the in 2004.
. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-texas-senate.html – The 2020 US Senate election results in Texas.